type='text/javascript'/>

Monday, February 25, 2008

Music and the mind - or - plug me into my Ipod

Music aids brain recovery following a stroke, is the initial conclusion of a study by Helsinki University.

It makes sense, really - they have been using music for coma patients for years (or getting your relatives to talk to you, but how much conversation is there in a virtual corpse on a bed?). Having people wired up to music or to audio books gives the brain constant stimulation, quite apart from making life a hell of a lot more interesting while you are 'being' rehabilitated.

So, should I ever have a devastating brain injury, just plug me into my Ipod!

Though having said that while my brain is not injured (and it is not at the moment, as far as I can tell...) I also

very

much

value

total

silence

and

non-stimulation.


0 comments: