type='text/javascript'/>

Friday, November 16, 2007

Espanol

Tried to get a Spanish accent in the headline, but failed miserably. Need to learn it soon, though!

So for the last few weeks I have been studying Spanish; again with the OU, with the aim of speaking da lingo, and combining it with my music courses to get a full degree, eventually. You may ask, what does she need a degree for at her age? You are right - but what fun it is to learn just for learning's sake.

The course is quite different from all other 21 OU courses I have finished so far - what with it starting about 5 minutes after my last exam, instead of in February, like all normal courses, and there are no units that might last one or two weeks, just a few books. Also, it seems, no exam at the end (though whatever test it will be, it will be hard). And of course it's cumulative, not like those nice easy courses where for a while you study this, and then you study that. But that's how my music course was, too.....

And then, what with me being used to the East European way of learning languages (you learn the rules first and then put it together) I find it weird going backwards - you learn the phrases and then work out the rules! But it's interesting....

So while in Germany I bought myself a Langenscheidt vocabulary training course on CD-Rom, for remembering those frigging words. They are much easier in Spanish than in, say, Lithuanian, though...It's a wonderful programme where you can do all sorts of things from memorising vocab (the words pop up in front of you and you give the other language), to vocab memory, phrases (I ain't there yet!), learning the vocab in a certain period (25 and more words a day, but with much repetition), apparently also having the computer check your pronounciation, plus you can load yer wurdddzz on yer Ipod - it's pretty cool! Every night I now spend a night in front of the computer learning a few more words. Shame they don't do it in Lithuanian, too. Did I mention the course is in German? Something similar probably exists from English to Spanish, too....

0 comments: