type='text/javascript'/>

Monday, January 15, 2007

Long weekend coming up....

.....I heard today. Friday is a public holiday in Georgia, 'Epiphany' (twelfth night??). What to do? 3 days in Tbilisi, in my slightly fresh flat, in front of the computer, is a bit much - no studying yet to do; trips to the countryside have not yet been organised by the travel agencies (except for skiing - so what is there? Where can I go? Going back to Vienna is a bit much, after the bruising my credit card got less than a week ago....it would be better to earn the money quicker than I spend it....what flights are there from Tbilisi airport?

Ooooh, Istanbul! And daily flights as well - what's more, what with the timing of the flights I can get three very long days in for the price of two hotel nights - I'll be knackered! So off it is to Istanbul on Friday morning. ....sadly, there seem to be no interesting concerts or opera/ballet performances apart from Otello, and one does not need to do that to oneself. But this can still be checked out. There should be no need to shop, what with not needing a carpet.... (famous last words?) Shame, now, really that I did not buy that Orhan Pamuk book on Istanbul; then again, it would take all weekend to read, and the reviews by the amazon readers do not fully persuade me to rush out to buy it, especially having struggled with some of his other books....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started on Istanbul, but didn't find it an easy read. Also I didn't really like the blurred black and white photos a la WG(?)Sebald, (where I don't mind them). It seems strange to render such a colourful city in black and white (or perhaps it's sepia).
Now I've got it back from my sister I can have another go.

violainvilnius said...

yes, another reader said it is very dense...(not in the sense of 'thick'); I've read a few of Pamuk's books. Maybe if you've been to the place it's easier to relate? We'll see. All his books are hard work.

Will blog lots more about Istanbul - had taken the laptop and left the powercable behind...